Recipe Ideas - Microgreens
There's no limit with what you can do with microgreens from Micro Acres! Sure, you can just use it as a garnish, but why do that when its flavour, texture, & visual appeal allow for so much more?
Here are 5 ways to lift up your next meal with microgreens!
1. Radish Microgreen Pesto
- 4 cups radish microgreens, washed and dried
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 a lemon of juice
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds, coarsely chopped macadamia nuts or pistachios
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine first 6 ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add additional olive oil to achieve a thick sauce consistency. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
(Note - If planning to freeze leave out the cheese and garlic and add when ready to serve.)
2. Pea Shoot Savoury Pancakes
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped pea shoots
- 3 Tbsp chopped chives
Heat lightly greased skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add batter 1/4 cup (60 mL) at a time to pan and cook pancakes until bubbles form on top, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until pancakes are browned on bottom and centres are just cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Let pancakes cool on metal rack while you prepare the remaining batter. You should get at least 10 pancakes.
3. Avocado Toast with Microgreens
- 2 pieces toast of your choice
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup microgreens of your choice
- balsamic glaze
- crushed red pepper
Cut avocado in half and scoop out the flesh. Sprinkle with sea salt and smash with a fork. Spread avocado on warm toast. Top with microgreens, sprinkle with a pinch of crushed red pepper and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
4. Tomato & Peach Salad with Microgreens
- 1 lb peaches, cut into wedges
- 1 lb tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 sweet onion, cut into thin slivers
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Pure Apple Cider Vinegar, for drizzling
- A pinch of sugar, salt, and pepper to taste
- 1 container arugula
- 1 container microgreens
Toss tomato and peach wedges with sweet onion slices. Drizzle with olive oil and apple cider vinegar; season with sugar, salt, and pepper. To serve, place peaches/tomatoes on a bed of arugula tossed with a handful of microgreens.
5. Egg White Omelette with Avocado, Goat Cheese, & Microgreens
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp milk
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- About 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Handful of microgreens
Whisk together two egg whites and 2 tsp of milk. Add mixture to a skillet with a light coat of cooking spray and cook them over medium to low heat. Add some salt and pepper to the egg while cooking, flip the egg over when the bottom looks cooked. Once the other side is done, transfer it to a plate fill it with sliced avocado, crumbled goat cheese, and some fresh microgreens and fold it in half.